Sunday, November 25, 2007

Life Lesson

I learned a very valuable life lesson just now, and felt the urge to write it down. The lesson is, don't let anyone inside your house unless you know exactly who it is and why they are there. Let me elaborate.

Just now, a single adultish looking kid rang our dorbell and said, "Hi! I'm looking for Andrew. He's here to pick me up." My dad let him in, thinking that our home teacher (a man who comes to visit the familes once a month in the Mormon faith to discuss family matters, gospel truths, etc.) Andy was meeting someone at our house to teach us with him. He let him in, but the boy said something like "Hold on. He's calling me right now." He walked outside and my mom yelled from the computer, "Who was that?" My dad being my dad said "Oh, I don't know." That not only worried me, but amused me. I thought he was joking or distracted and didn't respond correctly so didn't really think about it. Whenever our home teacher comes, we gather the family and sit in the living room to talk with him about whatever is going on in our lives, and then he shares a lesson he's prepared with us. Dad told me to "gather the troops" so I obediently went upstairs to find my brothers. We were all assembled in the living room waiting for Andy's obscure young friend to return. He came back in to say something to us, but then his phone rang again. He was in and out, eventually walking through our house about three times. He finally came to sit down with us, and looked obviously uncomfortable. My dad started introducing himself, assuming this boy was new to the ward or something, and began to ask what the boy's association with Andy was. He said that he was meeting Andy and Brian (coincidentally the name of our home teacher's son) and that they were driving back up to BU tonight. My mom's maternal instincts had told her from the beginning, as she later explained to me, that this man was not supposed to be in our house. She automatically knew from his last comment that he was in the wrong place, and asked him which Andy he was looking for. He said Andy something. Unintelligable. It was not our Andy though! That's about when I started hyperventilating, and Mom stood up and started cautiously ushering him towards the door. I didn't hear much of the conversation afterwards, but apparently he had typed his friend's address incorrectly into his GPS and was taken to our house. For those who know where I live, my house isn't exactly easy to show up at by ACCIDENT.

This just goes to show how people can get the right names of people who are scheduled to be somewhere at the right time.

I have learned something today, and I hope you do too. (For those of you chortling with amusement now, this is not a laughing matter. :0)

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm leaving a comment on my own post on behalf of my father:

The mouse was more afraid of us than we were of the mouse.

Wow dad. Wonderful insight.

Torie Hamilton said...

That is so funny! I can just see this happening, "oh, i don't know" Thank you so muchfor this story. I once called my friend Janelle only to talk for five minutes to a women named Danelle.

Luisa Perkins said...

That's really creepy. You could write a whole book about it. Actually, you'd better hurry up, or I will.

Wholly Burble said...

One of those "life is stranger than fiction" things when you run in to that kind of coincidence. Glad you are all OK--and now I'm sure your dad will want to know a wee bit more before letting in a stranger.

Melissa said...

I once called a hair salon to make an appointment for later that day. When I showed up, I was not listed in the schedule. Upon review, it turned out that I had dialed a wrong number. The wrong number was the residence of a young girl who did happen to cut hair for all of her friends. It was very odd.

Anonymous said...

So I guess I need to weigh in here, since I don't want to let the Clueless Dad thing live on unchallenged.

The truth is, I was primarily concerned about making sure that this guy, who I assumed was here to meet up with a trusted friend of mine, could do what he had been asked to do, that is teach and help care for my family's needs, with a minimum of awkwardness. He was exhibiting all of the tell-tale signs of newness in his assignment--stammering, unsureness of self, confusion--and I just interpreted them as evidence that I needed to be MORE welcoming, so that I could ease him into his new responsibility. Given those assumptions, I didn't think it was wise to ask him to stand outside on our cold doorstep (it was about 35 degrees at the time), so I invited him in.

Nothing bad happened, he and his buddies had a good laugh while they drove to Boston, and now we have a reason to go up the street to our neighbors' house and tell them what Home Teaching is all about.