Sunday, November 4, 2007

Chicken Dumplings

Okay.
On Friday night, my mom made us all these delicious-looking chicken dumplings. They were in a soup sort of thing, and had these rice balls in them and all kinds of vegetables...overall complicated and time consuming loooking. I had just come from a little party of my own, so I was pretty full having already eaten three slices of pizza and a cup of Sprite. I thought they looked perfectly fine, but my brothers and sisters didn't think so. I had no problem with them, and had I been in a hungrier mood would have eaten them in 17 seconds. So my mom was completely discouraged and went through one of those "motherhood crisis" moments where she "hates herself, hates her kids"...all that jazz. She quickly recovered herself (wow) and took that whole pot over to the O-----s, a family in our neighborhood. She gave them the pot, of which they were greatful for, and then came home.
Well,
Today was fast day and testimony meeting in my church, so brother O----- got up and bore his testimony. He talked about all the kind service that goes on in our ward, and made some comment on how he couldn't understand why our family's children rejected the dumplings. He said after that, "No matter. I'm glad that you did."
After the block, I had to answer a tsunami of questions about "What was wrong with them? Why didn't you eat them? In my family, its eat it or don't eat". Ya, well...I just wasn't hungry OK??!!?! was usually my response, but it still made me laugh that our chicken dumplings were the subject of the day at our meetings. Oh, there i go .... Ha Ha Ha

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I, too, thought it was funny that your family dumplings played such an important role in our meeting. Let this be a lesson to you: never complain about your meals or the entire ward will know about it!

Karen said...

That's what you get for trying to do a little quiet service. Alice, you kids didn't even know I took them over there! FYI: Chicken and dumplings is a chicken stew (chicken, broth, carrots etc) with a ball of dough (flour, baking powder and cream) thrown in on top. It's like a chickeny, moist biscuit floating on your soup. And I hope you told your friends that you guys didn't get an alternate meal. It is eat or don't eat. I just didn't want the food to go to waste. xoxo

Luisa Perkins said...

I am so sorry I missed the kerfuffle.