Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Beating the Summer Blues

It seems like during the last weeks of the school year all I ever said and all I ever heard said was "I'll just wait until summer to do that. Then I'll have plenty of time". Oh no. This summer has proved to me how completely filled with things to do our everyday lives are that we hardly have time for the things we said we would do. For essample, going on hikes. Hikes are amazing and I love them a lot. Especially up in the New English part of the US where there's tons of trees, wildlife, and easy trails to follow. I always said that the summertime would be the optimum time to go on such a hike because I could stay out all day and not have to worry about anything. By anything I mean school. So, part of my reasoning was valid... I don't have to worry about school. But it seems like other things keep getting in the way of all of that. Things that I never quite thought of during the school year as "must-dos" now seem to take over. Cleaning the house, for instance, or walking the dog. Or practicing the piano or working in the yard or blah blah blah or duhdee duhdee. I don't know! And then when all of that is done, I get so exhausted and don't want to do anything else for the whole day expect sit in front of the TV with a cold lemonade or something like that. Then I wake up the next morning and decide that I don't want to work super hard and have a repeat of the day before, so I do nothing and end up bored out of my mind.

The vicious circle that haunts us all.

So I have come up with some personal "goals" if you will for how to make sure that I don't waste away my summer, or miss out on it completely:

1. Stay inside for the morning-time hours. My reasoning is I'll be doing household-y chores that won't wear me out, but part of the staying inside will include not being hooked to the TV or anything. I will piano practice or do needle work or something like that.

2. Refer* to my list of things I wish I could do during the school year but never had time to. I think that if I plan out my days then I will have more time than I thought (this is all hypothetical) and hopefully be able to get things done like check the all the fire ladders in the house to see that they're the right length for the windows or reorganize the DVD cabinet or read a classic novel. I think that this will work for me, but if it doesn't, which I totally understand, then I will reevaluate what kinds of things to spend my time on.

3. Hang out with the fam and friends. I'm not very good and contacting people that I know from school over the summer - I don't know why - but I'm just not. So I think that if I just call up one of the girls that I know they would come over and hang out with me. If that doesn't work (which is my fear) then I need to just be with my family and do family things. Last summer we went to this great park all of the time. There was a lake, a playground, tons of little animals running around. I don't know what happened to that place, but it was always a cool place to go.

I will probably be checking my own blog from time to time to see that I remember these ideas that I have. There is a huge chance that this little snip of organizational genius may leave me in an hour, so that's why I wrote it down. You don't have to read it if you don't want to ... It was kind of for me so that I don't forget ... but comment anyways!! Let me know how your summers are going. I want to hear all about 'em.


*Refer is a palindrome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

no that's what I call a post

Unknown said...

I meant now not no